Best Things to do in Portland
The City of Portland is the largest city in the state of Oregon. It is the major port in the Willamette Valley region of the Pacific Northwest. In the 20th century, the city had quite a reputation as it happened to be one of the most dangerous port city but in the beginning of the 1960s was a turning point of the Portland. The city earned a reputation for the counterculture. It is also recognized as one of the world’s most environment conscious city. It is also known as the “City of Roses”.
You should enjoy this city which is extremely environment conscious as the people here take the cycle or prefer to walk. So here is the list of things where you should visit in Portland.
- International Rose Test Garden: It is one of the reasons why the Portland is named the City of Roses. It was established by the American Rose Society in the year 1917. It has more than 10,000 roses. It is open daily from 7:30 am to 9 pm.
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry: The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry was initially located in the house of the businessman Ralph Lloyd. He was the first person in the Northwest to have a planetarium. It also included a small show which usually lasted for twenty minutes only. It was quite popular in those times but was demolished. The new museum opened in the year 1958 and around 400 volunteers were involved in this project when the Oregon City council stepped up and agreed to lease some land in the Washington Park.
- Washington Park: The Washington Park happens to be one of the major attraction points in Portland. It is quite spacious as it covers more than 410 acres of land. It has a zoo, children’s museum, Japanese Gardens, and arboretum. It also has a big picnic space, playground, tennis court and forest area where a person can explore it. There is also a track over 15 miles where people can talk a long walk and it connects with the Pittock Mansion, Forest Park, and Council Crest.
- The Pittock Mansion: It is a huge mansion which is located on the hills in the west of Portland. It is a huge mansion which was constructed in 1909 and was owned by Henry Pittock and his wife. This beautiful mansion has 46 rooms and stands on 46 acres of land. Currently, this property is owned by the City of Oregon. This mansion was opened for public in the year 1965.
- Lan Su Chinese Garden: Portland is twined with the Suzhou which is in the Jiangsu province of China.It is one of the most authentic Chinese Garden outside of China. The Lan Su Chinese Garden is a perfect place for a person who wants to explore the Chinese culture and their history. Lan Su means the Awakening of Orchids. You can feel refresh and enjoy the flowers in this beautiful Chinese garden.
- Oregon Convention Center: It was in the year 1990 when the Oregon Convention center opened its gate for the first time for the public. It features the largest ballroom in the City of Portland. The building of the Conventions Center holds around 1 million square feet of area. This building has the largest Foucault Pendulum in the world along with the two towers which are famous for providing the internal light for the building. These towers became a memorial of September 11.
Though you can only read about the 5 places here the list doesn’t end here. It is a wonderful place to visit and explore the greenery there. You can also enjoy many other places too. It is a place where you can travel with your family, friends or go solo you will enjoy and have a good time. So why wait, book your cheap tickets to Portland soon with FareMachine.